I came across a giant lot of vintage paper doilies, so I've put them all in one auction on eBay together.
They're really all very pretty...see the auction here.
For some reason I made ATCs today....
and finished an ephemera journal...weird combo...
The journal's for sale here.
The ATCs are free to a good home; just send an email if you want one.
Yes, a few are still left on Etsy, but just a few. I've kept a handful back for myself (and sent one or two to friends) but that's it...
Why am I sad? The point was to sell them, right?
Here's the weirdest thing: I just like having them "in stock". I like having a cool brass tag available as an item I sell.
Anyway, the point is that I hate to be out of a metal number of some sort. They're so darn hard to replace because they can be so hard to find.
Which brings up all of the things I grab when I see them in nice quantities and in good condition at a fair price...like 1913 Flinch cards... Commissioner of Patent Reports books, only Volume II of Manufacturing...soda fountain tin spoons...Larousse French dictionaries, pre-1930...glass watchmaker vials...Logomachy cards with the birds...and more.
And there are the things I don't let myself buy...and the things I will never buy again...and the things I selfishly only buy for myself...and the astonishing lucky finds I've come across a time or two. But those are stories for another day.
Someone once asked me how I put together packages of mixed book pages. Here it is.
Yes, it's a big tub of file folders. Each folder is labeled (music, recipes, foreign language, etc) and every assortment gets 1 or 2 or 3 different pages from each folder. Certainly not glamourous, but it works for me.
I've managed to accumulate dozens of cabinet card and CDV album pages, so I've posted an auction on eBay to sell them all at once. In the meantime, here are a few pictures of what I've done with them in the past...
For this piece, I turned the album page on it's side to frame a CDV on a handwritten letter background. The frame & paper are both brushed with white gesso, and then I stamped on the frame and the CDV. I added a bit of fabric, some old buttons, scissors and a ribbon for hanging.
This piece uses a long triple album page, made to display 3 cab cards together. I have a few of these left but they're long and too big for a flat rate box, so none are in the auction lot. (the things that stand in the way of your sales!)
I used text and brass stencils in the openings on either side. On the left I also added a locket and a little charm. I opened the locket to show the pictures inside, one is a woman & the other a dog...and yes, they were already in there when I bought the locket. Serendipity!
The center picture is inked around the edges and decorated with some pretty mother-of-pearl buttons. It's laid over a piece of hand-died ribbon from Curious Sofa. I stamped all around the album page with an old-favorite stamp.
This is a piece using a double-CDV album page on a book cover. I wasn't too crazy about this the day I made it, but it has grown on me a bit. I was trying to incorporate some specific elements (the piece hangs from a toy stirrup and a man's tie) with the picture of the men.
I really liked laying the frame over the picture so that it sticks out either side - probably my favorite part. I also really like the little map-buttons I made, even though they kept coming off.
So, what have YOU made with an album page???
Well, I now know a bit about testing for Bakelite, ivory, bone, celluloid, resin and assorted plastics. Not that I can duplicate any of them on demand...
Why, you ask? So that I can identify what in the world these things are made of before I post some on eBay...
I purchased them for what felt like an exorbitant amount of money simply because I think they look so cool. I'm truly a sucker for anything with a number on it.
They measure about 5/8" tall and 2" wide. Most have their original pins.
Anyway, they were presented to me as door numbers, and possibly Bakelite or bone. I'd never personally take somebody's word for that, or sell them that way, hence all of the testing. And the winner is...
Resin. At least I think it's resin.
It's definitely not Bakelite, bone or ivory, the color's wrong for celluloid, and after that it all gets a bit murky. So, having ruled out the other possibilities, and sticking a pin in it (literally one of the tests performed on a broken piece), resin seems to be left.
So, here they are, incredibly cool resin door numbers.